September 22, 2010

Exclusive Interview with Black Eyed Peas drummer Keith Harris!

This interview was made in april 2008 to BEPBrazil.com, but since the website was closed it was saved for a future oportunity. And now that the peas are coming back to South America for the END Tour, specially the 9 concerts in Brazil, I would like to share with you this interview with the only & one, the Black Eyed Peas drummer, Mr. Keith Ernesto Harris!











Tell us where are you from and a little about your childhood.
I’m from the south side of Chicago IL. Born the youngest of 4, 2 boys and 2 girls, to Cynthia Harris in 1976. I had a great childhood and enjoyed being a kid, without most of the problems of today. You could go out and play as long as you were in when the streetlights were on.

How was your first contact with music?
My first contact with music was when I joined New Friendship Baptist Church in Chicago as a youth. I started out playing piano, and organ, but my passion was for the drums.
My brother tells me that when I was young, I used to run to the TV to watch the commercials to here the music, and leave once the program resumed.

How did you start playing drums?
Playing for the church choir. I used to sing in the choir, but that didn’t work out for me.

When you joined BEP and how it happened?
I joined the Black Eyed Peas in 2003. I met the musical director, (Printz Board) in NY while playing a gig for a group called Star69. Printz and I rehearsed and hit it off. The gig was a success and Printz kept in touch. A week or so later, Printz called and asked me if I wanted to join the band for the Black Eyed Peas. I of course said yes, and then had to learn 14 songs in 4 days, to play my first show with BEP in LA. The rest is history.

How do you choose the songs that will be performed in the concerts?
That’s up to the musical director, Printz Board

What is your favorite BEP song to play?
“Let’s Get It Started”. I love the energy of the song, and that was the first song I recorded drums as a member of BEP, so there is a sentimental reason too!

How is the crew relationship when you are on the road?
Great!! It’s like one big happy family. We all started out touring together, 13 of us stuffed onto a tour bus for about 6 months in 2003. We all became close and developed are close bond as a band.

At your myspace we can see you work with a lot of artists. Which do you prefer, writing, producing or playing?
They’re all a part of what I do everyday. When I’m producing, I’m playing keyboards, or drums. When I write, I’m usually producing or playing piano. They all go hand in hand.

How did you start the Bucky Jonson?
Bucky Jonson is the name of the “band behind the front” which includes, George Pajon, Tim Izzo, Printz Board, and myself. We are all part of the band that tours and records with the BEP. We have such a great chemistry on stage, we decided to name our band, and record a CD, Bucky Jonson, The Band Behind The Front.

What's your favorite Bucky Jonson song?
“The Escape”. It shows our musicianship, and I really get the chance to play my drums and express myself. It also captures the energy we give on BEP shows.

What about the Airpushers? Tell us a little about it.
That’s a group that’s Tim Izzo and Printz Board. I played drums and produced the interludes. Those are my good friends and it was great to see them get a record deal and get signed.

If you could choose an artist to work with, who would he/she be?
Beyonce. She’s very talented and a true musician, and I would love to produce a song with her. I love her ear for music and the energy she bring live and in the studio.

Who is your idol in music?

Quincy Jones! He’s the pinnacle of production! I’ve had the chance to meet and talk to him, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. He’s very intelligent and a true businessman. I aspire to one day reach his level of success and respect in my career!

What is your favorite movie?
Coming to America

What is your favorite band?
BEP/Fergie

What is your favorite book?
Left Behind Series

Which was the last album you bought*?
Mariah Carey E=MC2

Do you think it's important to keep a feedback with the fans in the internet?
Of course, I email people all the time from BEP and myspace. They’re the ones who give us this great opportunity to share our music, without you guys there’s no US!

What do you think about Brazil?
Love it!!!!!!! The women are beautiful!! Love the music, it so rich in African rhythms and drumming, and the people are the nicest by far. Brazil is one of my favorite places.

What about the Brazilian fans?
They’re beautiful too!!!!!!!! They show so much love and they’re very active on my myspace and BEP.com Thanks for all the emails and shows of support. I read every one of the messages I get, and respond as fast as I can.

Ok, to finish it can you send a message for us?
Hey, this is Keith Harris drummer and producer of the Black Eyed Peas and Fergie, reaching out to say to all the Brazilian fans on bepbrazil.com, thanks for all the support and please continue to support Harris Productions!

*This interview is from april 2008.
Thanks to Anisha Gliddon that used to be Keith Harris manager back there, and thank you so much Keith for making it happen. I know it took a long time to publish it but finally I run another site. See you!







No comments: